Saturday, May 14, 2011

Well, there he is after all this time. The finished piece for The Valley Of The Kings, tiger and animal rescue organization of Wisconsin.

The finished piece has a roughly two inch copper boarder and the whole thing as I described in my previous post was done in graphite and pastel. I know there is a dichotomy in the fact there is snow on the ground and leaves on the trees, but it was meant to be just a bit symbolic in that regard. It tends to fade around the edges so that my initial drawing can be seen...no artifices here my friends, this was done by hand with that fact in mind.
A human being did this, as flawed and fallible as you or any other. The difference is that this human did this for free when I dearly needed to make a living and with as much love as I could find in my heart to give it.
In a funny way, the wait was worth it. You see, the interval between posts gave birth to a few surprises. The good stuff that happened was that ace writer, poet and storyteller and boon companion Neil Gaiman will be writing a short piece to grace it with and the impeccable Todd Klein will be hand lettering it. Nice indeed.
Now Kitty who runs the fabulous Neverwear.com put up a pretty penny to have it scanned to the hilt and this as any project like it coming as it does from the heart is not for profit to anyone but VOTK. So, I really would be terribly happy to see a full sell out and full sell through on a second printing to make HUGE money to help the organization meet the enormous demands of time and money it takes to treat the animal there house and love so dearly with dignity and respect. I am guessing that it will be available as soon as both Neil and Todd are free to spend the time to do it as right as possible. Say, sometime mid-summer ish? Be sure that we, both Kitty and I as well as Neil will let you know as soon as it is available. Until then, be kind, be fully human and be real.

Oh, and save a few bucks, okay?

M.Z.

3 comments:

Kitty Cat said...

aha, here you are. I think i bookmarked your blog as your page, doh....
this tiger piece is such a labor of love.
it will come to light, not to worry---
patience being a virtue etc etc.

many thanks for the blog piece, you always show me another layer to your work and another level to look for.
love to miss KPS.

Arion said...

The tiger may be on paper but it feels like a living creature. I love the combination of snow and trees.

Beautiful work.

www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Jim said...

Beautiful work Michael!